Sunday, June 21, 2009

Mormon Grasshoppers???

I try not to be a complainer about Grantsville. Truly, I do. I live here now and have come a long way in adjusting to small town life, and raising my family. Well, these past few weeks have REALLY tested my outlook on this little town. Just look! Out of nowhere, baby grasshoppers have been hatching and INVADING my home, garden, and our ten acres that we live on. It's happening all over Grantsville and my skin is crawling! I can't even go outside to weed my garden (what the grasshoppers aren't eating, anyway) and the kids don't go outside to play. When I say my home is invaded, I truly mean it. They have infiltrated my entire place and are even getting in the house! I'm go glad my sweet children aren't wussy like me because I'm always screeching and yelling for them to come rescue me from a grasshopper that has gotten in the house somehow.

So... bring on the seagulls! And yes, they have come. Swarms of them, actually have been flying over my field and taking mouthfuls of them. The only problem is that there are so many billions of grasshoppers that the seagulls aren't making a dent in the problem. Tooele County has even come out to spray with planes to help with the problem.  We have sprayed THREE different times in the last two weeks just to try to get rid of some of them. Yuck. Below is a picture of Maddie's window well. They just cover the screen. I couldn't even go out to take the picture because when you walk across the lawn, the grass is just moving with them and it freaks me out. Like I said, I have good kids that aren't as afraid like me so I had them do the dirty work and get this shot for me. I am truly a prisoner in my own home!

14 comments:

Kally said...

LOL, that is so GROSS! I can't even believe that. Eww, I would be screaming as well and carring a can of bug spray everywhere I went. I remember Joel saying he drove home from Tooele one time and their was so many on the road that you could hear them all getting ran over. Gross!!!! We have ants thats about it and they are still a pain to get rid of. Are you sure you don't want to come visit St. George, we don't have grass hoppers, well at least not like that! Also, YAY for blogging, nobody blogs anymore!!!

grandmasue said...

Yuk! This happened when I was a kid, and I remember the streets were solid grasshoppers and it just crunched to drive over them. They will go away, but until then, YUK

Tracy Collings said...

Wow, you do have it bad! We had quite a few, but after the planes sprayed it got much better. I don't get freaked out by bugs, but that would send me over the edge. YUCK!!

The Walch Family said...

EEW! Welcome to small town Grantsville. Grasshoppers and gnats. What a nice combination!!!! Yuk!

erika said...

I to would be overwhem with all those bugs.We are also getting alot of bugs(ants).
They are all the devil!

erika said...

I to would be overwhem with all those bugs.We are also getting alot of bugs(ants).
They are all the devil!

Doney Days said...

Holy crap Deb! That is gigusting!!! (as Gavin would say). And of course it has to be one of the pests that totally make you ill!!!!!

Bennifer said...

I am gagging! At least its not spiders:)

Traci said...

yikes is right and they jump so that is what really scares you. we are having some ant issues and we have had lady bugs or they were some kind of japanese beetle issues- and yes i think lady bugs ar cute, but tons of them and in the house, not so much.
keep us updated for sure!!!

Allie said...

Mercy me Deb!! I feel way bad for you guys because it is NOT that bad at my house! I am too scared to walk in your grass too! When I had a sleep over with Maddie I wouldn't even look out the window because it was so nasty downstairs! YUCK!!

Sondra said...

Yie! Ugh! How terrible for you, you poor girl! I hope it goes soon! It's like that Little House Book! Love you!

Karmen said...

You poor thing! I just saw my first grasshopper last night while weeding! That's right...my FIRST! Burley anyone?!

Farm Girl said...

you can come hang out at my house, we don't have any....yet. Perhaps you can transplant (or have the children do it)your garden too.

val said...

Deb, you are hilarious, and the grasshoppers weren't half that bad when we got there, but still plenty for Gavin and Karissa to get with the mallet! Dang bugs.. I got big, fast crawling cockroaches if you want to trade... Also, Thanks for such an enjoyable time at your home!!!

Sign me!